<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14732216\x26blogName\x3dLatitude+44.2N\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://latitudefortyfourpointtwonorth.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://latitudefortyfourpointtwonorth.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8809567043883967748', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Favorite Records of 2005

It seems like everyone's got themselves a best music of 2005 list these days. Just look around the internerd and you are bound to find one (or just click on any of these: My Old Kentucky Blog, Gorilla vs Bear, Popsheep, Take Your Medicine, Grey Will Fade, and Information Leafblower).

I wasn't thinking about my best of until our very own Vermont Public Radio came knocking (well they didn't really knock as much as informed a friend who told me. I know, weak.). VPR's Switchboard program is requesting its listeners to share their best albums of 2005 for inclusion in next Tuesday's show (and as a not so added bonus, they will be featuring a list of listener favorites in a future edition of their e-newsletter!). If you're lucky you might even end up on the show.

My top 5 albums of the year are:
1) Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise (Chicago.mp3)
2) Clap Your Hands & Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands & Say Yeah (Upon this Tidal Wave of Young Blood.mp3)
3) Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene (7/4 (Shoreline).mp3)
4) My Morning Jacket - Z (Anytime.mp3)
5) Wolf Parade - Apologize to the Queen Mary (Shine a Light.mp3)

My main motivation in sharing the music that moves me with VPR was to try and influence future programming. Flatlander wrote a great post on this some months back. I'm not thinking radio revolution in the vein of Seattle/Tacoma's KEXP or Minnesota Public Radio's The Current, but do believe that Vermont listeners have a wider palate then just talk and classical.

Switchboard's Best Music of 2005 will air on VPR next Tuesday at 7 pm.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Flatlander said…

    I'm looking forward to that show. I have to go to a holiday luncheon for my company in NJ that afternoon but am going to try to get back in time to hear it. 7pm is a tough timeslot because of baths for the kids and general bedtime routine but I'll keep it going in the background. I think they offer podcasts of Switchboard so we can always grab it later too.

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Anonymous nico said…

    I was so disappointed with MMJ's Z. Maybe I haven't given it a completely fair shake yet, but I only like 3-4 songs off it.

    Whenever the MMJ mood strikes, I'm always going for one of the earlier records.

    My list will follow once I return to Orlando (and I will reply to your email)

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger D said…

    thanks for taking the time to post about Grey Will Fade!


    D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home